FULL-TIME CAMPUS POLICE OFFICERS (3 Positions)
KCKCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and encourages applications from minorities.
Reporting directly to the Chief of the Campus Police, the Full-Time Campus Police Officer shall be responsible for:
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain the preservation of peace, the prevention of crime, and protect the health, life, and physical property of the College campus.
- Detect and process traffic and parking violations according to College regulations.
- Enforce all federal laws, state statutes, local ordinances and College regulations concerning the safety of College personnel and individuals from the community who utilize the college facilities.
- Providing general patrol of campus grounds and buildings by vehicle or on foot.
- Write reports on criminal offenses and other incidents.
- Conduct follow-up investigations of crimes and incidents.
- Must be able to perform adequately under stressful conditions.
- Attend classes, training sessions, and workshops to maintain current knowledge of law enforcement.
- Keep current on changes in his/her area of responsibility.
- Being able to work all shifts and available to cover any extra shifts that may arise due to sickness vacations, special events, etc.
- Submitting daily activity log to the Chief of Campus Police.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief of Campus Police.
- Supervise students who work in the department.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
All applicants tentatively selected for the position of Campus Police Officer at Kansas City Kansas Community College will be required to submit to and successfully complete a psychological evaluation and physical examination prior to appointment. Applicants will also be required to submit to a urinalysis to screen for illegal or prohibited drug usage. Appointment to the position is contingent upon a negative drug test results.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND PERSONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and talk or hear and sometimes walk and sit. Occasionally the employee will bend or twist at the neck more than the average person. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally push or lift items. The employee is directly responsible for safety, wellbeing, and work output.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision such as the ability to read handwritten or typed material, and the ability to adjust focus. The position requires the individual to meet multiple demands from several people and interact with the public and other staff.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have the ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- Must possess the qualifications needed to obtain a state certification; preference will be given to applicants possessing state certification currently.
- Must be able to successfully complete Police Academy training within one year of appointment, thus obtaining state certification (if not already state certified).
- Must exhibit knowledge of basic Law Enforcement concepts to ensure the safety and security of the college campus.
- Must have the ability to respond to unexpected situations that may occur on the College campus.
- Must have the ability to abide by and carry out a code of ethics as established by the department and College administration.
- Must display the ability to serve individuals with various ethnic, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds in a courteous manner.
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills.
- Must display willingness to follow instructions and work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality regarding Law Enforcement and College information.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge in working with Microsoft Office preferred.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Must possess physical ability sufficient to ride a bicycle around the campus as part of the bicycle patrol unit.
- Must have visual acuity sufficient to see all pertinent information necessary to perform law enforcement functions, i.e. suspect information, alarms, etc.
- Must have the hearing sufficient to hear alarms, phones and other pertinent information necessary to perform law enforcement functions.
- Must have the physical ability sufficient to perform all necessary law enforcement functions, including patrolling the hallways and other areas of campus that cannot be covered by vehicular patrol.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required with attendance at Law Enforcement conferences, workshops and/or seminars preferred. An Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Law Enforcement is preferred.
- Current state law enforcement commissioned officers preferred.
- Minimum of one year experience performing law enforcement/security duties, preferably in an educational setting, preferred.
$40,000 (Certified) or $36,000 (Non-certified) per year.
(If a current KCKCC employee is selected for this position, consideration will be given to his/her current salary)
Open until filled
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of position given this title and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job related duties through their hiring department. Specific job related duties assigned by hiring department shall be consistent with the representative essential functions listed above and shall not be expanded in role or scope.
PLEASE NOTE: INTERVIEWS MAY BE SCHEDULED VIA EMAIL.
PLEASE COMPLETE A KCKCC APPLICATION, WHICH MAY BE FOUND AT WWW.KCKCC.EDU UNDER EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES.
IF A POSITION REQUIRES A DEGREE, PLEASE ATTACH COPY OF TRANSCRIPTS TO YOUR APPLICATION. OTHER ATTACHMENTS SUCH AS COVER LETTER OR RESUME CAN ALSO BE UPLOADED AND ATTACHED TO THE APPLICATION.