KCKCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and encourages applications from minorities
Reporting directly to the Director of Computing Services, the Database Administrator’s role is to design, install, monitor, and tune the college databases while ensuring high levels of data availability. This individual is also responsible for developing, implementing, and overseeing database policies and procedures to ensure the integrity and availability of the Ellucian Colleague systems.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy and Planning:
Acquisition and Deployment:
- Assess and develop long-term strategic goals for Ellucian databases in conjunction with departments and programs directors across campus.
- Work with Information Services staff to develop database architectures, coding standards, and quality of data policies and procedures.
- Participate in the design and implementation of redundant systems, data policies, and procedures for disaster recovery and data archiving to ensure effective protection and integrity of the college data assets.
- Assist in the monitoring of the Information Services Helpdesk phone.
- Conduct research and make recommendations on database products, services, protocols, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Create models for new database development and/or changes to existing ones.
- Install and configure relevant network components to ensure database access as well as database consistency and integrity.
- Respond to and resolve database access and performance issues.
- Monitor database system details within the database, including stored procedures and execution time, and implement efficiency improvements.
- Monitor, optimize and allocate physical data storage for database systems.
- Plan and coordinate data migrations between systems.
- Develop, implement, and maintain change control and testing processes for modifications to databases.
- Create, or support creation of, required reports in response to user needs.
- Perform database transaction and security audits.
- Establish appropriate end-user database access control levels.
- Develop routines for end users to facilitate best practices database use.
- Manage and/or provide guidance to junior members of the Information Services team.
- May consult with department, clients, Deans, and other staff.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- Working technical experience with designing, building, installing, configuring and supporting Microsoft SQL servers.
- IBM UniData knowledge is desired.
- Hands-on database tuning and troubleshooting experience.
- Demonstrated experience with data processing flowcharting techniques.
- Good understanding of academic institutions’ goals and objectives is preferred.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Ability to conduct research into database issues, standards, and products as required.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong end-user service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative, date-driven environment.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and talk or hear and sometimes walk and sit. Occasionally the employee will bend or twist at the neck more than the average person. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally push or lift items. The employee is directly responsible for safety, wellbeing, and work output.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision such as the ability to read handwritten or typed material, and the ability to adjust focus. The position requires the individual to meet multiple demands from several people and interact with the public and other staff.
SALARY: Dependent upon education and experience.
(If a current KCKCC employee is selected for this position, consideration will be given to his/her current salary.)
APPLY BY: July 15, 2013
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of computer science or 5 years equivalent work experience using MS SQL is required.
- Microsoft Database Administrator certification (MCDBA) is highly desired and employment will be contingent on completing the certification in a timeframe of one year.
PLEASE NOTE: INTERVIEWS MAY BE SCHEDULED VIA EMAIL.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of position given this title and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job related duties through their hiring department. Specific job related duties assigned by hiring department shall be consistent with the representative essential functions listed above and shall not be expanded in role or scope.