EMPLOYEE RELATIONS SPECIALIST
The Employee Relations Specialist reports directly to the Director of Organizational Development and Human Resources. This position will be responsible for effectively addressing employee relations issues and communicating changes in College Personnel Policies and Procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advises managers in administering coaching and corrective action to employees. Prepares corrective action notices, reviews involuntary employment separations, recommendations and reduction in force proposals.
- Partners with supervisors to respond to employee violations of policy and generally helps to resolve conflict in the workplace.
- Conducts investigations and recommend appropriate steps to address situations involving problems such as workplace sexual harassment, workplace violence, drug diversion, substance abuse, theft, Title IX and all other College policy violations.
- Writes and update job descriptions to ensure compliance with the FLSA.
- Manages KCKCC Performance Management Program and actively assist in succession planning activities.
- Participates in programs that enhance communication, effective management and problem resolution; such as KCKCC annual Performance Appraisal program, New Hire Orientation and any training offered by the Human Resources Department.
- Ensures personnel files are in compliance with current OFCCP Guidelines.
- Maintains strict adherence to the KCKCC Handbook of Policies and Procedures.
- Assists in the management of unemployment and worker’s compensation claims.
- Ensures all Human Resources functions are compliant with applicable KCKCC and regulatory agencies (EEOC, OFCCP, Wage and Hour, etc.).
- Facilitates the separation process of employees. Assist with firing decisions and notification of termination.
- Acts as a liaison between employer and employee, overseeing employee relations. This includes receiving and effectively handling employee complaints, escalating these complaints to the level of disciplinary or legal action when necessary, updating employees with any changes in company policy.
- Assist in collaboration and relationship-building with various groups within the college. Enhance a positive working environment by planning and developing employee events and professional development activities.
- Maintain an open door policy for colleagues, students and college patrons, who wish to discuss concerns or raise questions about workplace/College issues at KCKCC.
- Collaborate with the Employment Coordinator to ensure proper and thorough Employee Exit Process by developing exit checklist, assist in conducting exit interviews and following up with any potential issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Extensive knowledge of state and federal employment laws and regulations required.
- Must exhibit professionalism and be able to communicate well, both orally and in written form.
- Must possess the ability to organize and initiate office operations according to needs.
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Package (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Microsoft Publisher), SAP, Datatel, Colleague or some other HRIS system.
- Must possess the ability to maintain confidentiality of work-related matters.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision and with diverse individuals and groups.
- Must be able to work under the pressure of deadlines.
- Must exhibit sound and accurate judgments.
- Working knowledge of a web-based Human Resource system; SAP, Colleague or knowledge of DATATEL.
- Experience conducting investigations and preparing reports related to EEO compliance and other Human Resources matters preferred.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Qualified candidates will possess a minimum of four years of Human Resource Employee Relations experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management, Personnel Administration, Business Administration or related field required; Master’s degree and/or PHR/ SPHR certified preferred.
- Two years of experience working in Higher Education and working with Title IX strongly preferred.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and talk or hear and sometimes walk and sit. Occasionally the employee will bend or twist at the neck more than the average person. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally push or lift items. The employee is directly responsible for safety, wellbeing, and work output.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision such as the ability to read handwritten or typed material, and the ability to adjust focus. The position requires the individual to meet multiple demands from several people and interact with the public and other staff.
EXEMPT STATUS: Exempt
SALARY: $47,500 - 52,500
(If a current KCKCC employee is selected for this position, consideration will be given to his/her current salary.)
APPLY BY: For full consideration apply by May 1, 2017
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of position given this title and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job related duties through their hiring department. Specific job related duties assigned by hiring department shall be consistent with the representative essential functions listed above and shall not be expanded in role or scope.
PLEASE COMPLETE A KCKCC APPLICATION WHICH MAY BE FOUND AT WWW.KCKCC.EDU UNDER EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES. IF A POSITION REQUIRES A DEGREE, PLEASE ATTACH COPY OF TRANSCRIPTS/AND OR/ DEGREE CERTIFICATE TO YOUR APPLICATION. OTHER ATTACHMENTS SUCH AS COVER LETTER OR RESUME CAN ALSO BE UPLOADED AND ATTACHED TO THE APPLICATION.